Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The problem of calling yourself a florist

The term florist is so limiting and one that I'm not entirely keen on attaching to myself. I can't be boxed in by labels. Plus, people hear 'florist' and a variety of images come to mind, largely ones that don't capture the art behind the craft or acknowledge the working with flowers as a craft at all. 

But what are my options? 'Floral designer' is too cheesy, like it's trying too hard. I briefly considered 'flower stylist' but it has such an awkward ring to it; I might as well call myself a botanical beautician.

This is all beside the point. What's most significant about the limitations of these handles is they exclude the world of foliage, herbs, mosses and all non-flowering plants. And don't get me started on the world of paper flowers.

So, below is a nod to flower-less floristry. 

Mmmmmmoss. Such rich and varied texture options.

Traditional potted plants add a light-hearted casual feel to a centerpiece.


Herbs lend their scent to the setting for a more earthy feel.


I love the idea of using these hothouse covers.  Very clean yet exotic.


Just lovely.


Olive trees and branches--so rustic.

No comments:

Post a Comment