Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Boutonnieres, Part I

Boutonnieres, or 'bouteniers' as I've been spelling it for most of my life, are tricky business. They're typically small, which makes them difficult to work with; they have to blend with the setting and capture the wearers special persona; and I've encountered many men who think that they're too girly.

Welcome to 2010, boys. No, not even. Boutonnieres are a timeless classic worn by men for centuries, across cultures (citation needed).

According to Wikipedia, the word boutonniere comes from the French word for buttonhole. The entry goes on to say that boutonnieres are traditionally made with carnations, usually white or red. But if you're feeling a little wild--as I always am--Wikipedia says that you can wear a blue cornflower to "better coordinate with whatever else is being worn."

Not that I was that narrow minded in my conception of boutonnieres, but I've come across some lapel treasures that have changed my world.

There are too many images for one post, and I don't want to rattle you to the core on our first go, so behold, part one:

Made out of tule, these little beauties melt my heart.


Herbs. Romantic and more traditionally 'masculine', for all those haters (and lovers) out there. 


It takes a man with a lot of pizazz to pull of a single orange dahlia. 



Fun, but not overpowering, embellishments.



I never thought to construct a boutonniere on anything, let alone on...what are those? Spigots? 



No comments:

Post a Comment